Writing a Subject Access Request


Whilst the Metropolitan Police (whose Counter Terrorism Command are responsible for gathering intelligence on “domestic extremists”) want you to use their own form submit a request (currently here), we recommend you use our sample letter – available to download in Microsoft Word and Open Office versions. The form used by the police asks, in our view, for far too much information about you.

 Submitting your Request


You need to send two forms of identification that “provide sufficient information to prove your name, date of birth, current address and signature.” This means a driving licence, medical card, birth/adoption certificate or passport, along with a recent utility bill or bank statement.

The Metropolitan Police no longer charge a fee for processing subject access requests.

A copy of a utility bill is likely to reveal less about you than a bank statement. We strongly advise against sending anything that might reveal your personal connections, such as a telephone bill. If necessary, you can obscure personal information on a bank statement or phone bills such as transactions and phone numbers: as long as your address is visible, this should be fine.

It may also be possible to make a Subject Access Request without revealing your address if you are concerned about the police knowing it and can explain why you wish to withhold it, although there is a risk that the request will be rejected.

If you wish to pursue a request in these circumstances, please contact Netpol at info@netpol.org for further advice.

Your letter or the form, along with payment and identification, should be sent by recorded delivery to:

Metropolitan Police Service
Public Access Office
PO Box 57192

Don’t forget to keep a copy of your request and your recorded-delivery receipt. If you do not receive confirmation that the Metropolitan Police has received your request within a couple of weeks, ring the Public Access Office on 020 7161 3500 between 10am and 2pm or email ROAROnlineApplications@met.police.uk to find out if your request has gone missing.